Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A spider to the rescue...



Well, I don't know what a fishing spider was doing in among the tomato transplants today..maybe keeping warm and catching white flies))) . Hope so. But, I lifted one nine pack of tomato babies and there he was. I think it was a he, because the females are larger (or so Google says)); I stand corrected if anyone can identify more positively.

I am posting a photo of a female who kindly introduced herself in a previous garden season. Scared the wits out of us! Anyway...huge comfort blanket today,.. mother nature will take care of this white fly scare (along with a titch of safer's soap)))...and by the way, found three lady bugs in the summerhouse today. Mother Nature..I love you xo

6 comments:

  1. I know, those spiders are huge. I found one last year and if he had run towards me I would still be running. I don't work without gloves anymore..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have found one on my chest once at my camp when i awoke....a lot of people laugh at me when i tell them that when i flicked it off me i heard it hit the floor.this was in Clyde River area and i have seen 1000's of those while trout fishing.myself i'd rather come across a bear than a spider any day...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure these are fishing spiders. I once saw a webpage (which of course I cant find now) that called these Nova Scotia Wood Spiders. I too see the fishing spiders when I am around water and they look very similar. But I live in Fall River, not near any water, and these guys are everywhere. I have found them in my house (in several rooms), in my garage, on my deck, and yes, 4" from my face. I'm not a big spider fan and I can tell you these guys look intimidating. and I can confirm that you can hear them hit the floor with a thud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamieson, I am not sure either...Nova Scotia wood spiders..well that is new to me. Thank you. I have never found this spider in my house, but have in my shed and outside. It was awfully scary..ran like a tarantula (well those I see on tv, not here)))). Fast...and those sort of tiger striped legs...

      Delete
  4. This is called a Dark Fishing Spider (Dolomedes tenebrosus)
    http://www.spiders.us/species/dolomedes-tenebrosus/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Luke. Have never seen another as large as that one again but have seen many smaller ones, most recently, at the bottom of a plant container where the plate was full of water. Guess he was fishing ))

      Delete