Friday, April 9, 2010

Rodale Moments


Dad loved his garden. For a time there, in the eighties, he subscribed to Rodale's Organic Gardening, and I was the lucky recipient of the magazines in his collection. It was first created by founder J.I. Rodale , in 1942 and as near as I can tell, it's descendant magazine is still being published. In one of the 80's editions "the NEW Green Party in politics" is introduced. In another issue, one very senior gentleman talks about a particular plum tree of his, descended from a Luther Burbank plum scion, "stellar in performance and taste". Goodness, I didn't truly know who Luther Burbank was until a month ago when I read " The Garden of Invention" by Jane S. Smith... a great read I might add. These old Rodale magazines are full of fantastic and applicable information for today, just as they were thirty years ago. So if you come across any in your travels, grab them up, take them home, pull up a chair and settle in for a time... not so "long ago". Thanks Dad xo

2 comments:

  1. Snif. This reminded me of my own father, Brenda, who also subscribed to OG in the late 70s and early 80s. Thanks for the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda - you are right - they are gold and so are fathers who know it! I like your blog - lots of fun and info.

    ReplyDelete