Thursday, March 17, 2011

Harp Seal Lounging in the Sun

Yup...the days are continuing to bring spring closer, and while some might like to find a sheltered garden corner to enjoy a few rays, others really prefer being out on the ice soaking up the heat.


We have lived here, close to the sea, about twelve years, but only on rare occasions have I seen seals on the ice.  Today, nearing home, basking in the sun, was this black faced beauty.

Click on photos to enlarge

As I stopped to take photos, I could hear Edsel's rooster on the farm hill beyond, priming his pipes.....imagine that sound mixed with the snorting vocals of a seal in it's sunny bliss...


But, sunshine must not be spent taking seal photos alone, so hurried to the two tasks set out for today.. prune the wisteria and the spirea. This year we did a good whacking off of tendrils so maybe more blooms in 2011 than last year. The spirea is Gold Flame and when purchased, was told to trim early by one third every year to get that  incredible gold red color in spring. Works for us every time. 

We think.... we might plant under the hoop tunnel tomorrow if the fine weather continues. Stand by!

9 comments:

  1. View of seals in the freedom envy. I like to look at them. Yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous. We have grey seals in Wales, a large colony off the island of Ramsey; sometimes we hear them barking as we walk on the cliffs

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic looking seal, I've never seen those colours. I love how in winter the seals come up on the ice here and lounge. I even saw one in a farmers field last year that had wandered up from the river.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just love the pix of the seal. How lucky you are to have the opportunity to see her/him so close to your home!
    Hope the sun is shining on you today....
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a lot of wildlife, but never a seal! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd stop for that!

    Looks a whole lot bigger than those I've seen at the mouth of the river Thurso.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That seal looks very relaxed and contented as he suns himself on the ice. I was out in the garden for the first time this afternoon. Supposedly tomorrow will be even warmer. Hopefully you can get your hoop tunnel up.
    P.S. I love the ordered look and layout of your veggie garden. I'd love to have a vegetable garden as beautiful as the one you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enchanting! Maybe there will be some pups later on. Wonderful photos. Your greens look tasty too! Those fresh green shoots always do seem a bit like a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Brenda, a seal on ice... great captures too. Wildlife is amazing isn't it? Enjoy it :-)

    ReplyDelete