Wednesday, January 28, 2015

October Memories

Reading through all the seed catalogues this time of year, it's easy to get a bit overwhelmed. The first list I made, "the wish list full of want" totalled almost one hundred dollars. Oh my! Get a grip Brenda; be rational and stop daydreaming. Definitely over budget for our small garden! One thing I do know is, there won't be any pumpkins growing in the garden this year; took up way way way too much room. Mind you, they did produce and I am very grateful to have enough cured to get through the winter. The same with the Carnival squash above...too much room, although I am sure you will agree, they are delightfully beautiful, each one with different markings, and sweet to eat. Trouble is, I sometimes see the fruits of our labour through an artists eye. "Oh, just think how beautiful that would look growing up the bean wall. You know... we gardeners are great dreamers! We have to be.
Autumn light here in Nova Scotia, is crisp, clear, and luminous. There's that window in the season where all in the garden shimmers in the sun, and reflection and moods of darks and lights along with the earthy smells of the garden touches your very soul.
Hearty soups are coming out of the kitchen to warm us on those coolish evenings; bonfires are lit to burn the garden debris; the smoke drifts over our hill, down to our neighbours. The last swims are done, the last of the short sleeve tshirts and sandals put away. The seagrass has turned to gold.
Now back to paring down that seed list and ordering what does well, and behaves more modestly than those pumpkins of last year. Wish me luck.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful memories of October, my favorite month!! I've never grown a pumpkin...like you I think I'll pass this year. Photos lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreaming of a wonderful gardening season? I love your squash pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you grow squash up a support or along a fence so that it doesn't swallow up space,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that would work Sue. I may try that on the beanwall. I wonder if one of the small varieties of pumpkin would also do well? Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I share your reservations about squashes & pumpkins - too big for my small plot, despite being attractive and good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Have you ever seen a squash arch? I think we may try to build one this year, so fun and pretty! Just hope the winds don't destroy it....may be a space saving measure for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh do I hear you about pumpkins taking up room. We're fortunate to have extra space for them but even so it's remarkable how much ground they can cover. I'm trying to be very reserved with seeds this year, I always seem to buy more than I have room to plant. At this time of year it's easy to forget all the work of preparing garden plots for those seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although they are lovely to look at - I am like you in that I just don't have the room. Although reading Sue's remark above maybe I could grow them along the back fence which is hoop topped so I would be able to thread them through. Watch this space. Love your last picture - all is still and tranquil. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I love the autumn. It's my favorite season. I've been pretty good about keeping my seed cost down this year. But that's only because I spent a fortune last year. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. I wish you all the best, and warm greetings from Montreal. :)

    ReplyDelete