Monday, January 19, 2015

Flashback to September

Going through old garden photos reminds me what did well, what didn't and what we couldn't get enough of. Three top the list: tomatoes, beans and garlic. We have success with garlic in our garden, and even planting it in the raised bed cold frame in March last year, by September, it was ready to harvest. It's the first year I tried that, because I didn't get around to planting it in October 2013. The scapes below grew from Susan Delafield. Big thick cloves under the soil, a very tall scape, and a sculptural beauty in the garden.
As for the beans, seen behind the garlic above, well you know we built that back trellis especially for beans, and in fact, call it the bean wall. But the last few years, I find I cannot put seeds out too early because they get eaten, rot or get nabbed by the crows, mice or squirrels. Now, if I get them started inside, growing to about eight to twelve inches, and then plant out, all seems to be fine. Last year was a bit of a bust and in disgust, after planting three times I didn't want to buy any more seeds. I found a jar of organic dried beans in my cupboard, all different varieties, and so, I pushed them in the soil and hoped for the best. Well of course, some were climbers and some were just shrub but they gave a huge harvest and we had our fill. So the bean wall looked a little sparse in some places as you can see.
Tomatoes are probably the hardest plant for us to grow. For years we were trouble free, 'coasting' as one might say. Oh the bliss of it all. Then we were hit by late blight a few years back and that was the end of that. We now almost exclusively grow Sub Arctic Plenty, which doesn't mind a chilly spring, and gives us loads of tomatoes before the season of late blight. We also grow climbing Mexico Midget, chocolate cherry and sun gold which all seem to sluff off the blight. Plentiful, tasty and resilient are good hallmarks to aim for in a garden year after year and referring to old photos I find, are a great reminder.

12 comments:

  1. lovely to see the fruits of your labours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those scapes are gorgeous - make me wish I could paint.
    We haven't been able to grow tomatoes here - not enough hot sun. Perhaps in this new house we'll find a spot that's a sun trap and try again. Those beans look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What torture - looking at photos of ripe tomatoes, in January! I tried Sub-Arctic Plenty once, for the reasons you cite, but they didn't do very well for me. For some years now I have grown "Ferline" and occasionally "Legend", which have high levels of blight-resistance - though of course they are not immune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our garlic wasn't really successful the bulbs were very small

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, I'm not sure if I mentioned to you but your Susan Delafield did wonderfully in my garden. Big beautiful bulbs, I put some aside and planted them for this coming year. Thank you so much. Love that woven pan? with the beans in it. Looks like a good thing to dry seeds on :) Isn't it nice to remember the garden now when the weather is chilly, makes me happy seeing all your bright photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bren, your tomatoes look mouthwatering! Is the green one with the yellow centre the Sun gold? The color is quite incredible. My tomatoes were a bust this year. That's two years in a row. I tried growing them in containers this year. They looked sad and produced only a few fruit. A smarter person might give up, but I keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! My tomatoes have been pretty terrible the past few years because of blight...how early do do you seed yours to get them pumping out fruit before the blight hits? I hope you don't mind, I added your blog link to mine because I love your posts (novascotiaroots.wordpress.com).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do you get your Subarctic plenty seeds from? I would love to try this year - we got hit terribly by blight last year. I am hoping my Scotia and Mennonite Orange do okay this year, Sun Golds always fare well, but I'd love an earlier one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seeds were given to me and now I save them each year. I note William Dam Seeds provide packets. Scotia did well for me also, and early. Your Mennonite Orange sounds tempting I must say.

      Delete
  9. For heating pads, go to garage sales and look for the old time pads that once turned on stay on. The newer ones shut off in Two hours.
    The farmers were having similar problems with late blight on tomatoes. Dr. Jim Baggett at Oregon State U developed two
    that helped with this. They are Oregon Spring and Legend. Territorial Seed Co. carries them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Anonymous. So pleased to have those two variety names. Will search for them. Thanks also for the idea about heating pads. Yes, they do shut off after a few hours don't they! Will see what I can find. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete