Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Saying it with Flowers


Baptisia australis, commonly known as blue wild indigo
Someone left a bouquet of flowers outside Vicki's house today, tucked under her streetside shrub border, way to the right of the Baptisia australis she and I used to compare..hers to mine.."how big will it grow" we wondered and "can you believe it survived"! We weren't close...just garden buddies sometimes, neighbours, friends that smiled when we met, often a hug, but mostly, strong acquittance. We didn't hang around with the same folks but she knew my property well, having been close to the people who owned it before us.

We had a garden open day about six years ago, and she came with her son, who said..(and you don't forget when a young man says this)..."it's a little piece of heaven". My heart melts to remember that, to know, he had that same spirit inside him, and know he felt the same way I did and know, he inherited that from his mom. So long ago it seems. But now, his mom is gone, and we, her community, weeps.

I was thinking of scattering forget me nots in the sandy soil near the stone wall, outside her house. What can one do, when a death has tragically happened and you are so unprepared for it. Loss of life... can we find a way to make that spirit live on in our garden; grow blooms to remember as a testament to a life and love of gardening? The bouquet today, gently tucked, bright spring flowers nestled in snow...clearly they didn't want to impose on the family's grief. Flowers..the gift of love, longing, remembering.

13 comments:

  1. Very sorry to hear about your loss. The flowers seem to me a sweet reminder for everyone who sees them of this lady and her love of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those flowers, what a sweet gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How heart wrenching. I hope the little man is okay. When he's older, and has his hands in the dirt, as he certainly will, his mom will be there right beside him...I'm sorry you lost your friend Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss and your community's loss. I think a scattering of Forget-me-not is a beautiful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That baptistia is lovely - I'm sure it will become a reminder of Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'mn sorry to hear of your and the communities loss. The flowers are a gentle reminder of the warm soul who has now left this world, but i am sure impressed many fond memories on others, it is that that will live on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, flowers can do a lot for loss.

    Take care
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Brenda - I didn't know Vicki but have been hearing reports from people who did. It is a small community. I like what you said about her son. Hope there is some relief out there for both of her kids. Much love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flowers are a nice way to remember someone who, in her lifetime, loved and grew them. Bren, I am very sorry to read of your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one of the many things I like about gardening. (The whole circle of life thing) I have several plants in my garden from loved ones who are no longer here. When they come up in the spring, when they bloom I think of the person who gave me the plant. Does anyone else do this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no luck with Baptisia australis I did get lots of lush green growth but it refused to flower well. I donated it to a local garden where it now thrives laughing at me everytime I see it in flower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings fellow gardener...I just happened upon your blog today and was drawn to this beautiful, blue plant that I have never heard of. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend...this post struck a chord with me as I just also lost a very dear friend of mine in February. I am an avid, organic, gardener and left a bouquet on my friend's doorstep the very day she died.
    I was wondering if this plant goes to seed and if so, would you consider sending me some...I would gladly pay you for postage, etc. I love blue plants and this one is just gorgeous!
    Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the kind comments and sincere thoughts and wishes you wonderful bloggers out there.

    Christinalfrutiger, of course I would be happy to send some seeds, but they are difficult to germinate, at least that has been my experience. I have had only one grow from seed beside the mother plant in all the years I have had the baptisia. If you have a blog, let me know or how to get in touch with you. Thanks

    ReplyDelete