Monday, May 30, 2016

Weekend

It was only a matter of time before the roof windows in the summerhouse started to fail. First, they leaked just a little bit. Then, gradually the drip drip got worse and worse, and then...last winter a heavy branch fell smashing one pane to bits. Up until then, I had thought the glass was industrial and would shatter if broken. So it was quite a shock to see the shards of glass one morning, on the floor, absolutely everywhere. And so, their days, from that point on, were numbered.
"Sunny for three days and no rain" the forecast said. Do you know, I think the meteorologists take the weekend off because until it starts to rain, the forecast doesn't change. This wet surprize, of course, delayed everything! Quickly, plywood was nailed over the openings and a tarp over that. How I will miss those sunny bright days, looking up at the sky when potting or puttering. Doesn't it look dark inside. Maybe when the new tongue in groove is put in place and painted white....
But heh, the greens and the garden are in utter heaven! However, I didn't pay attention to my own mantra..grow only what you can eat and share. Even the succession plantings are catching up to the first plantings.  Arugula has been composted twice now because of wanting to go to seed. Thinning little Tom Thumb lettuce has helped to allow their sweet lime green heads to form and I must admit, this is my favourite lettuce. A butterhead with a nice crunch, perfect with a creamy dressing. This lot needs a little more thinning heh!
Another spectacular lettuce this year was Red Deer Tongue. It remains green at the bottom when it is intensely planted but if transplanted out properly, with space between the heads, the intensity of the red is incredible. This also makes a great ornamental.
"Lighten up, enjoy the garden and make time to relax" I tell myself. Almost June when the fairies and Gnomes arrive. For some fun, especially if you have children visit, why not plant up an old wheelbarrow, perhaps something safer than this old rusty thing. We tucked in a nasturtium, and a sign that says "Welcome to the Great Outdoors" and wouldn't you know it, a little gnome showed up just last night!! He wouldn't let me take his picture but you can just see his tiny Green hat if you look closely. Maybe he thought it was Heligan in Cornwall but no I said, there are three white spheres there, don't you know. ;-)

Oh..the rain stopped! Time to pick some supper greens..and reds. Thanks for reading.


12 comments:

  1. That made me laugh - sometimes I think the best weather "forecast" is simply looking out the window :)

    Your summer house is gorgeous! What I wouldn't do to have a potting shed like that...or ANY potting shed, for that matter! I hope you get your window fixed soon - it must make such a world of difference.

    And I keep hearing about Tom Thumb...I had better add it to my ever expanding list of lettuces to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret...Tom Thumb is so tolerant of cold weather, can be seeded so early...can not say enough about it. Thank you for your kind words about the shed. We drew the plans around recycled windows and doors measurements we found, limiting ourselves to a floor size allowed without buying a permit. Lots to consider!!

      Delete
  2. How lucky that no-one was under that roof when it came crashing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue...I still think about that...and therefore, they are being removed!

      Delete
  3. Yesterday I slogged through the rain in the Fraser Valley, secure in a forecast of 'sunny with cloudy periods'. Today I am taking extra shoes and a rain coat! Weather forecasting is, I am sure, right up there with palmistry and crystal ball-gazing.
    I like the look of your summer house, and have saved the picture. We are wrestling with ideas and designs for something for the backyard. Lots of fun!
    When I get back in tonight I will send you a photo of my meet-up with another cousin. What a nice experience that was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "right up there with palmistry and crystal ball-gazing"...yes! Always have your rubber boots, in the car!

      I hope you find a great idea and design for your backyard focus. What fun is right! Advice always given freely. Runs in the family ))) View from house, angle...color...destination...lots to consider.

      Looking forward to a photo meet with another cousin. Can't wait.

      xo

      Delete
  4. Everything looks so good and growing well in your garden. Sorry to hear about the roof that must have been quite a shock. I expect now that you have repaired it the rain has stopped too! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How shocking. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
    It is a good job you like lettuce - you are clearly amazing at growing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah...thank you for commenting. This year has been very good for lettuce, other years not so much. We do like lettuce but I think I have had my fill! ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm with Margaret: I am completely obsessed with your Summer house. It's too nice to let the plants have all the fun. I want that space, with a lounge chair, a table about elbow-height, and a cat trained to schlepp ice from the house so I can refresh my G&T while I catch up on my comfort reading. I think Jane Austin, or Mapp & Lucia would go perfectly with a June day in Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vivian, can you train two cats to schlepp the ice please, one for you and one for me! The dog knows where the G & T is! As for Mapp & Lucia.......adore those books. The summerhouse has had the repairs done on the outside, now to just finish the inside. So pleased you liked it and could imagine yourself there. Perhaps an outdoor summerhouse is in your future as a studio?

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete