Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Find Your Joy

Spring came to Nova Scotia in one big blowing swoop. Warm windy day after warmish cool day, the weather held.  Here on the South Shore, it nursed the bare ground awake, encouraged blossoms to open, charmed the heart and mind, restored the soul. Although Witch Hazel 'Diane' has been the first star to shine the past few years, it was the native Nova Scotia Daphne that truly stole the show. You only see it in retail nursery shops on occasion and often, expensive but mine was a humbling gift, a multibranched fist of sticks from someone who knew the value of what she was offering. I did not! So every spring, I bless my dear Ms. Vicki, breathe in the deep purple pink Daphne's, sweet modest scent and thank God there are good, dear, kind and thoughtful people in my life. Because, you know, we can sometimes forget their blessings on us and how even if they are far away now, or not with us anymore, the gifts they gave make the difference in a life full of moments.
The bees were captivated and equally grateful to find the blooms. Oh to hear that buzz again after so long. A sound you miss, but don't realize until you hear it again.

Four years ago I was offered another stick...a single rooted branch of something called a Cornus Mas "yours for only five dollars" sold as a fund raiser. Thanks to Ms. Niki this amazing stick has grown into a five foot tree in so short a time, even the giver was amazed. Not only is Cornus Mas covered in deep yellow spring flowers, they will turn into dark red fruit which, if the birds are kind, I will get to try later in the year. If the rabbits stay away from the bark, which they can't seem to do regarding the Witch Hazel... this tree should grow into a beauty.
Then, there is the gift to myself, from the garden. Branches of the Quince Japonica, that tried and true early blooming shrub of all farm houses and quaint gardens are cut and blooming ahead of time, in the kitchen. Our well water must contain something that keeps the blooms very pale as they should be deep pink or orange, but for some reason, they are on the pale side, forced inside. Maybe that is just the way it is and no fault of the water at all. But oh the joy, the gift of just being in the same room with blooms to favor your eyes.
So even with a troubled heart, or a worrying soul, there are gifts all around us I suspect, that sometimes, we forget to see. Our eyes can grow dim in beauty, when in fact, every bloom has a story...every tree, every berry. Find your joy, as they say.

17 comments:

  1. We have a daphne in our garden that just arrived presumably brought in by a bird. It is now quite a mature plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a happy coincidence. Thanks Sue for commenting.

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely blog post. I love to think of plants having a story and I often look at the plants around my garden remembering where they came from or who gave them to me. Spring is lovely isn't it, when plants are bursting into flower after the dark days of winter. I think we appreciate them more than in the summer when there are so many more flowers about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, for your kind words. In spring we count the days in the first flowers, so yes, when there are more about as the seasons go on, there isn't that excitement as much as 'the firsts'.

      Delete
  3. Here on Long Island I am wearing a Winter coat this morning -- 47 degrees is NOT Spring weather and I am NOT amused! But the buttercups are popping up on the lawn and the cherry trees are in full bloom so like you say, we must be grateful for the return of color in the world (and I am, I am).

    Thank you for finding my blog and for your very kind words about my gardening skills (which as you know have nothing to do with actually getting my hands dirty). I wanted to let you know that your NO. 99 is a very good guess for the Monet boat Triscuit, but it has already been claimed -- I hope the Quince Japonica can whisper a new (wining) guess for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were kind to reply Vivian and so I have chosen another number. You have inspired me for over a year now and have enjoyed using watercolor again.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After a long winter (and likely more so because of it), spring is such a welcome joy. Here in Southern Ontario, we are unfortunately in another cold spell, but another week or so and some warmth should start to break through. You are so very right when it comes to plants with a story, especially those that we received from others. A lovely lady sent me some flower seeds from the southern US and even though I only received them yesterday and they are yet to be sown, I already hold such a fondness for them. I can't wait to get them in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret for your lovely comment. Southern Ontario does seem to hold her cold a bit longer but makes up for it very fast. And as for your southern seeds, I can well imagine the anticipation you feel, wanting to sow them. Gifts have a preciousness all themselves, especially given from the heart.

      Delete
  6. Your post brings so much joy! I always treaure the plants that I am given and they are even more special if the giver knows how good those plants are! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you are so kind to write what you did. Thank you. Keep well and enjoy your days by the sea. Bren

      Delete
  7. Plants that produce flowers before leaves seem to have a special quality to them. You have certainly acquired some nice plants - via some very different routes! Glad to see you "come out of hibernation" again, Bren. I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mark, they do have a special quality. Nicely said. They hold that anticipation don't they! Plus there is the joy that they were given with an open heart. As for hibernation, it has been a long sleep. Hopefully I will continue to be inspired by the beauty around us and not shut my eyes to it. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  8. Greetings from Australia. I just found your blog, Bren. Beautiful pics of your garden :) Enjoy the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David...great to hear from you again. Love to be in touch! Thanks, the garden keeps me young...well, youngish ;-)

      Delete
  9. I am so late to this post, but life has been over-full.
    The good, kind and thoughtful people in our lives are often overlooked, because they appear when we need them most - when life is crazy or upside-down. They come, they help, they bless us and bring gifts and then they step aside. Your post has made me think of some of those people in my own life - and I include you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored to be thought of in such a way, and thank you most most sincerely. Life does get over full, but the structures that hold us up are strong dear friend. Steady and unwavering just when we need them.

      Delete