Saturday, March 28, 2015

Still Waiting for the Snow to Go

Just in under the wire for a March post. It's been difficult dealing with our winter weather this year here on the south shore of Nova Scotia. Homes and businesses have had roof collapses with the weight of it all. Very sad. We had a collapse of the cold frame Lexan cover but the Captain came to the rescue and it's back in place.  March 2014 we were picking spinach but not this March!
It will be interesting to see how this growing year ahead preforms, having deep snow so late in the season. Will blights and bugs be affected for the worse or better I wonder. The forest animals are having a difficult time, especially the deer who have found the deep snow a hardship. The hares seem to be doing okay as we often see their prints in the snow but I hate to think of the damage the mice are making in their tunnels deep below at ground level. As I write, flakes are falling but everyone here is hoping, this is winter's last hurrah. Please let it be so. I am putting on weight, not working in the garden ;-)

An anonymous commenter suggested trying Oregon Spring tomato because it is reliably early and cold tolerant, similar to my Sub-Arctic Plenty.  Thank you whoever you are! The leeks and onions started in February have been transplanted to bigger containers and are happily growing under lights. Just that simple pleasure changes the gift of a day for the better. Sifting through the seed packets I try to decide what goes into the raised beds first....spinach, broad beans (dwarf variety), some of the leeks, scallions and mixed greens.
This year I'm going to put more annual flowers in the vegetable garden. For ages, we always had cosmos, marigolds and volunteer flowers growing where they were not expected. I loved the wildness of it all, and realized I miss that look and feeling. "Mini cosmos blend" grows to 20 inches sounds outstanding and also, a taller 31" called Snow Puff. "Breathtaking, fully double flowers in pure white" from West Coast Seeds.

Old garden magazines are keeping me inspired and doing some hateful spring cleaning keeps me out of trouble. Let's hope today is the last day shoveling snow and instead, we'll soon be spreading compost!

18 comments:

  1. What an awful winter you have had on the east coast! Every time the news tells us about another storm I cringe for you! Can you get West Coast Seeds? I'd be glad to send you a selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your commiseration with your east coast family and friends. I hope this is the last Hurrah, truly. Thank you also for the West Coast Seeds offer. How kind of you. My order arrived so am anxious to see how that tomato preforms here.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain!!! I can't even see where my garden beds are hiding and I am usually pretty close to planting early peas and trees in the tunnels by now.....I found Sub Arctic Plenty seeds at Home Depot by McKenzie!!! I will have to try saving some this year - I have saved flower seeds in abundance, but never veggies. Nasturtiums, Calendulas, marigolds, sunflowers and snapdragons are some of my favourites in the veggie bed. Nasturtiums as an aphid trap, Calendulas to eat, marigolds and snapdragons to deter pests (ha!) and sunflowers to make me and the birdies happy! Soon, soon, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden looks fantastic and your recent blog post so informative. Thank you so much for your comment and sharing your blog. Glad you found the seeds and also looks like Marguerite sent you some. More snow last night, wet and heavy. (

      Delete
  3. happy growing...When you get spring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GZ! It's this time of year I plant the pots from you with tiny tete a tetes. None in the shops so far!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Pondside. Every time we were hearing about yet another snow storm heading for Nova Scotia, it felt so unfair. I really hope you get some spring soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Erin. Snowed again last night and blizzard conditions enough to send a plane off the runway at Halifax airport. Fortunately, no fatalities but sure looks scary.

      Delete
  5. That sort of snow is extremely rare here in the UK - a once-in-a-lifetime event, I would say. We don't have any snow to contend with at present, but lots of wind. It is blowing a gale today, and I am watching my plants get a battering! There is a little rain falling too, but not really enough to do any good. We do need more proper rain because the Winter and Spring so far have been very dry, which does not bode well for later on. I hope you can soon get out and do some gardening. One things is for sure - there is not excuse for lack of planning this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Maritimers are used to snow, it is just when it comes to spring, we want flowers, and some brown grass to walk on. But you are absolutely right, no excuse for lack of planning! Thanks Mark

      Delete
  6. You have had a bad winter unlike ours which was mild but we are suffering now in that spring is slow to wake up. It's need so miserable and windy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get a really good head start on spring where you are! Hopefully we will get some rain soon and this depth of snow will be a memory. Thanks Sue

      Delete
  7. Little or no snow in UK - the irony is that I have bought a house in the French Alps and there has been little snow there too!
    But I guess that gives time to write... books need time to germinate too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books need time to germinate. Oh yes...hope that is going well for you. Miss your blog posts. So are the French Alps full time life or part time life? Wishing you the very best Mark, you and family.

      Delete
  8. Brenda, I do believe the weather has turned a corner. It's still white and miserable but that sun has a definite warmness to it. I planted my basil and tomatoes this weekend, bring on spring! I wonder too though, what have the mice done? I worry for the trees and shrubs. They are so slow to grow and any set back is hard. I love the idea of annual flowers. As you know I'm fond of cosmos, any reason to plant them is a good one. A little extra colour in the garden is always welcome. Take care and hang on, the snow will be gone soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How frustrating that you still, have snow you must been so inpatient wanting to see some earth! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh, by the time I have commented, hope the snow has melted away. We have had no snow this year, but plenty of hailstones and rain. I am glad you have gardening mags to keep you inspired. I need to get into growing, the garden is not even dug yet and usually as you know in the past i have been so organised. No idea what seeds we have either. Still look forward to comparing notes when things get going green. I hope your both well. Warmest of wishes as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We gave up on growing tomatoes outside because if blight. We may try some in the garden as it seems pests and diseases are worse on the plot with so many growing food crops so closely to one another. Our spring is late this year but nothing to do with snow just dull and cold weather.

    ReplyDelete