Monday, January 23, 2012

Pea Results

They started out well; peas intensely planted, grown for their shoots. The variety, Dwarf Sugar, Canada No. 1 Select, grew legs practically overnight.... long long legs...lots of stem and not enough leaf. Those leaves were closed as well, like clover in your lawn when evening comes round. Did I ever notice that in peas before? "Most leguminous plants do close their leaves in the evening" I read, but this pea variety seemed to keep them closed all day. Now, I just wonder why...too cool this time of year next to the window and perhaps not enough sun? I will try them again, in a better location, because I am pretty sure that was the problem.
Delicious, yes... but, compared to last year's Garnish Type, Dwarf Grey Sugar, (photo below) from Johnny's Selected Seeds, they could only compare in taste, not presentation. The legginess wasn't an issue really, but I would have preferred larger leaves like these below. Still, I think both attempts were a success, and even better, I learned something.
Hope you get a chance to give this a try. It's fun and easy and quite a little miracle happens right before your eyes. Now where are those Mung beans I was planning to sprout?

Note: Do not sprout Ornamental Sweet Peas grown for their beautiful blooms and fragrance, as they are poisonous.

9 comments:

  1. I tried growing pea-shoots this way last year, but mine went mouldy before they produced any wothwhile crop, so presumably I got the growing conditions wrong.
    I've just sowed some Cress seeds in a container on a windowsill, so hopefully they'll do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often thought about giving pea shoots a go but never got round to it. Having seen your success I might be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd guess at lack of light. The peas think it's night-time so stay closed up. WE have a grow light set-up in one of our spare rooms which is switched on during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures Brenda! They look so yummy!
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo a sight for sore eyes - lovely bright fresh shoots just what we need in the UK at the moment when everything is dead and brown. Taste some for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of pea-shoots before, I must try some they are quite a novelty and I hope delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never grown pea shoots. It's nice to still be able to grow and harvest things at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pea shoots look delicious. Next winter, I hope to have a sunny spot to give peas a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried growing sprouts myself but I do love sunflower shoots. One of these days I'll have to give that a go. You make it look pretty easy.

    ReplyDelete